Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Potty Training Part 1




Today is the first day of potty training. We are using the potty training in less than a day method that Dawn recommended. I was super excited and nervous to get started with her, because although she shows all the signs of readiness, her willingness is not quite there. Today started off not too bad, 8am began the training and Ry was pretty into it, but after 2 hours of constant drinking and no successful pee’s yet I was getting worried. The book said kids will pee about every 15 minutes with a full bladder. Apparently this child has the bladder of a whale. Finally at 10:30 she had her first accident all over the kitchen floor and we begin again filling up that never ending bladder. By 1:30 she has her 2nd accident although this time she watches me knowing she should be going in the potty after all the training and practice. I was pretty upset at this point thinking, it takes nearly 2-3 hours to get her full enough to pee, and between that and her stubborness at this rate were never going to have a successful pee in the potty. During the 10 practices after the accident, Ry actually is able to poop in the potty, but unfortunately this traumatizes her because it was NOT coming out and probably hurting. By the time she was done, she was in hysterics, I was overjoyed and we were both covered in poo from the battle of struggling over staying on the toilet. I think I kind of won, but we will see if shes is EVER willing to poo again! After the “big” success (because we treated it so anyway) we blew up balloons, and cheered and danced, but then Ry pauses in the middle of the carpet, gets a very concerned look on her face and begins to leak all over everything, I rush her again to the bathroom for the 3rd time today leaking everywhere, shes again in hysterics, slips on her pee, and finally makes it to the toilet where I realize, nope, not pee but diarrhea. Just my luck the stuck poo was keeping all the bad stuff in. After that it was nearly 2pm and I decide to throw in the towel for the morning. We take a bath, and go have naps (except mom is downstairs cleaning diarrhea, pee, and tears from the floors) We will continue on but may suggest the potty training in less than a day be revised for stubborn little spirits will iron wills and indestructible bladders.

Later that night: Ben and I spent 20 minutes reading to Rylee sitting on the potty. Nothing. But then…could it be? After getting up and walking around for a minute or two, she races to the potty and barely makes it before diareah #2 flys out. We definitely count that as a success since many adults have trouble getting there on time too.

1 comment:

Carrie Hellewell said...

That's hysterical! She reminds me so much of Roxie at that age. So determined to be her own person but also wanting to please Mommy. Keep working on it. It may take more than a day but I bet she'll be getting it really soon. Good luck!!